The South African government has told victims of recent xenophobic attacks not to expect any form of compensation.
Minister of the Department of International Relations and Cooperation, Dr. Naledi Pandor in an interview with Reuters, said the country has no provision for compensating the victims of the renewed attacks as her country’s laws do not have provisions for such matters.
This is coming on the heels of officials of the President Muhammadu Buhari administration saying Nigeria would seek redress.
Speaking at a press conference in Abuja, Wednesday, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, insisted the Federal Government would press for compensation for the attacks and destruction of the businesses of Nigerians in South Africa.
The Federal Government had earlier demanded that Nigerians involved in the attacks should be recompensed.
“Full compensation has to be paid because, as we have discovered from previous experience, a lot of Nigerians lose their property and it is a long-drawn-out process and very often they are not compensated for it. But on this occasion, the Nigerian government is going to fight for full compensation and hold the government of South Africa to count,” the minister said.
135 total views, 1 views today