Prince Charles is desperate to keep the Duke and Duchess of Sussex at the heart of a progressive monarchy fit for the 21st century, royal sources have revealed.
He still believes Meghan is the perfect match for Harry and the family – and is determined to bring the couple back in.
A senior palace source said: “There’s a genuine fear from Charles that this could be the beginning of the end for Harry and Meghan’s involvement with the family and that, in his words would be ‘an utter tragedy’.
“Charles has implored everyone to work together to bring them back into the fold before it is too late, as he realises the benefits they have as a couple and indeed for the popularity of the monarchy across the world.
“The message is clear: the stakes are too high to lose the one of the family’s greatest assets.”
Charles, 71, has a clear vision of how he wants a “slimmed-down” monarchy to operate in future, with Harry and Meghan bringing their star quality to major roles.
But he was disheartened at the couple’s wish to split from The Firm and pursue the prospect of earning millions without the blessing of the extended family.
The couple had been warned their plan to break away and split their time between big-money corporations and the Crown would be “wholly unworkable”.
Harry is understood to have told Charles the wheels of change moved too slowly in the palace, prompting the Sussexes to release their bombshell departure statement ahead of time this week.
But the Mirror can reveal that after a meeting between the Queen, Charles, the Cambridges and Sussexes on Thursday, Harry and Meghan have been given “a new range of options” for how their new roles could work.
Charles has made no secret of his admiration for Meghan and is said to be saddened at the prospect of losing her.
271 total views, 1 views today