The police arrested 295 suspects over various incidents recorded during Saturday’s Osun State governorship election, as security agencies intensified efforts to prevent violence and electoral offences.
Force spokesman, Ani Iniedu, said 293 of those arrested had been released on bail after screening, while two remained in custody for further investigation and prosecution.
He said the arrests formed part of security measures deployed across the state to ensure a peaceful and credible election. The police had earlier warned political actors, supporters and other stakeholders against actions capable of disrupting the electoral process.
The two remaining suspects are expected to undergo further investigation before being prosecuted for offences established against them. The police said anyone found violating electoral laws would be arrested and prosecuted.
Meanwhile, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps said it recorded no arrests during the election. Its spokesman, Afolabi Babawale, said the Corps deployed a comprehensive security structure across local government areas and wards.
The NSCDC deployed three armed patrol teams with Hilux vehicles to each local government area, while three unarmed personnel were stationed at every polling centre. Two additional armed personnel were positioned 500 metres from each polling centre.
Babawale said the multi-layered deployment was designed to deter troublemakers, maintain order, protect polling units and electoral materials, and enable security personnel to respond quickly to emerging threats throughout the election.
![]()









